Friday, February 16, 2007

 

This still exists?

Okay, so I'm not working on an installer anymore, I'm not working in C++, C# or anything like that right now. I'm on a Java project.

So my first post this year in Intuitive Techniques will be this:

JAVA IS COMPLICATED.

All you people out there who say that Java is easier than C++ have no idea what you're talking about.

Sure there are a couple of things about C++'s memory management that are tricky, but Java has way more to it. Add to that the learning curve with all sorts of code-generation, frameworks, web programming and just about every kind of technology you can add and still call it a Java project and you have COMPLICATIONS.

Java-type and Java-based technologies on my current project:
Java (duh)
Ant tasks
JSP
Javascript
Apache Struts
JBOSS
Tomcat
Weblogic
Apache Struts-Bridge (it really is different from Apache Struts)
Liferay portal
Portlets
IntelliJ IDEA (which is the best IDE I've ever used)
QCommon - our own architectural framework
JUNIT

Put all of these together and you have a recipe for disaster. Somehow, though, the team I'm on has been able to keep up with a demanding schedule. I just wish I didn't feel like I was drowning most of the time.

I'll catch up. It's just a matter of when.

Yours in bugs,

Liam

(Next up: Java 1.5 -or- how to make something complicated easier to mess up.)

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?